You should read this document carefully in conjunction with our Savings terms and conditions booklet to ensure you understand the features and conditions of what you are buying and keep it for future reference. Our savings accounts are only available to UK residents.
|What is the interest rate?
||Interest rate band
0.50% Gross / AER variable
- Interest is calculated daily and paid annually on 31 October into the account, to another Newbury Building Society account or to your bank account.
|Can Newbury Building Society change the interest rate?
- The rate can be changed in accordance with our Savings terms and conditions. These can be accessed in branch and online at www.newbury.co.uk.
- You will be notified of any material downward rate change by letter or secure message.
|What would the estimated balance be after 12 months based on a £1,000 deposit?
||Interest rate band
- This estimation is for illustrative purposes only and does not reflect individual circumstances.
|How do I open and manage my account?
- Available to those aged 18 and over.
- Account must be opened in person, in one of our branches. It cannot be opened by post or online.
- Once opened, it can be operated in branch, via post or online.
- Only one account per customer either in single or joint names.
- Account holder must be resident within our operating area as defined in 'Important notes' below.
- The minimum opening balance is £100.
- The minimum operating balance is £1.
- The maximum balance is £10,000.
|Can I withdraw money?
||35 days' notice is required for all withdrawals; there is no option to withdraw early with a penalty.
Once notice has be given, withdrawals can be made:
- Up to £500 cash per day in branch.
- By cheque against cleared funds in branch or by post.
- By electronic payment in branch to your nominated account.
- Via the myaccounts online service to your nominated account.
- By CHAPS for electronic payments to third parties.
- Tax status - From 6 April 2016, HMRC introduced a Personal Savings Allowance for individuals and as a result interest on savings is paid gross of tax. Your tax treatment will depend on your individual circumstances and may be subject to change in the future. For further information go to www.gov.uk.
- Newbury Building Society will pay a donation of 0.3% to the customer’s charity preference. This is calculated on the account balance on a daily basis and paid directly to the charity annually. Please see ‘Important notes’ for more information.
- We will require identification for all parties on a savings account, please see ID for customers leaflet for full details.
- Our local operating area is: AL, BA, BH, BN, BS, DT, EX, GL, GU, HA, HP, HR, KT, LU, MK, NN, OX, PO, RG, RH, SG, SL, SM, SN, SP, SO, TA, TW, UB, WD, WR. We accept savings applications from existing members regardless of their postcode.
- You can choose your charity preference at account opening, please see details below. Newbury Building Society reserves the right to change charity partners and donation amount; we will inform you of any change in charity or donation in writing.
- You can change your charity preference at any time however your charity preference at 31 October will receive the total donation.
- You can register with myaccounts our online service to view your accounts online, use secure messaging and request online withdrawals to your nominated bank account. Online withdrawal requests for sums up to £5,000 made between 9am and 5pm on Business Days (Monday to Friday excluding Bank Holidays), will be processed on the same day. Requests for sums over £5,000 and up to the maximum £50,000 made between 9am and 3pm on Business Days, will be processed the same day. Requests after 3pm will be processed on the next Business Day.
- Online withdrawal access is not available to accounts with an attorney, nominee or executor. These types of accounts can be opened and operated in branch.
- For more information regarding our online service, electronic payment and CHAPS service see our Savings terms and conditions. These can be accessed in branch and online at www.newbury.co.uk.
- There are no charges for the normal operation of this account. See our Savings terms and
- conditions for more information.
- Account holders will be issued with a Member Loyalty Card enabling discounts and special offers from local traders who participate in our scheme.
Newbury Building Society currently supports these charities as chosen by our members:
- Alzheimer's Society - the UK's leading dementia support and research charity, here for anyone affected by any form of dementia in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- Andover Mind - providing help and support for anyone with a mental health problem in the Andover area.
- Helen and Douglas House - an Oxford based hospice caring for terminally ill children, young adults and their families.
- Paediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) - based in Southampton Children's Hospital, PICU is a regional centre for paediatric intensive care.
- Prior's Court School - enables people with autism to reach their full potential and lead as independent and inclusive lives as possible.
- St Michael's Hospice - enables anyone faced with a life-limiting illness, their families and carers, to attain the highest possible quality of life by providing a choice of specialist care and support.
- Sue Ryder - hospice and neurological care for people facing a frightening, life-changing diagnosis.
- The Newbury and District Cancer Care Trust - a small independent charity helping local people who have been diagnosed with Cancer and other life-threatening illnesses.
Gross rate is the contractual rate of interest payable before the deduction of income tax at the rate specified by law.
AER stands for Annual Equivalent Rate and illustrates what the interest rate would be if interest was paid and compounded once each year.
WE HAVE NO CURRENT PLANS TO WITHDRAW THIS PRODUCT BUT IT MAY BE WITHDRAWN WITHOUT NOTICE